Novus Law Firm seeks a California-licensed attorney with three or more years of experience in California employment law and a demonstrated ability to provide advice and counsel to sophisticated clients. Experience in or enthusiastic willingness to learn labor law and higher education law is necessary. Excellent writing and communication skills are of the utmost importance and will be assessed as part of the interview process. Well-developed tech skills are imperative.
Who Will Excel in This Role?
The ideal candidate is confident, knowledgeable, proactive, a supportive team member, and resourceful problem solver. Effective time and project management skills are essential. The successful candidate is motivated to produce high-quality, cost-effective legal advice with a sensitivity to urgent requests. Novus expects client needs to be met efficiently and has workload controls in place to ensure weekends, holidays, and downtime. The candidate who is flexible and happy to work at a firm committed to regularly seeking to improve processes and procedures with an eye toward innovation in the practice of law will be happiest at Novus. Employees are expected to have an awareness of and make corrections for implicit bias and microaggressions and have (or will learn) bystander intervention skills.
- Demonstrated ability to instill client confidence by being thoughtful and mindful in all communications and engaging in effective written and oral communication and presentation.
- Ability to give appropriate consideration to practical implications, as well as political and public relations considerations when dispending legal advice.
- Ability to project manage and take ownership over assigned matters, tasks, and deadlines.
- Comfort with advanced technology, including a strong belief in paperless legal practice.
What Will You Do?
You will develop relationships with clients as they establish their legal needs, provide counsel, help clients understand their legal options in relation to strategic goals, and represent clients in negotiations and judicial proceedings. You will work to ensure client matters are resolved favorably via the best and most economical legal solutions.
Your work will include:
- Advising clients on discrimination, harassment, and retaliation; California and FLSA wage and hour law, including meal and rest breaks; California and federal employment contract law, including offers, separations, and non-solicitation agreements; terminations and layoffs; protected leaves, vacation rules, and disparate impact analyses; pay equity reviews; complicated leave issues; and OFCCP affirmative action requirements.
- Drafting and analyzing employment documents, including contracts, policies, and handbooks, as well as client updates and preparing client trainings.
- Preparing and strategizing for collective bargaining and labor relations.
- Developing arguments and representing clients in civil legal proceedings as well as in administrative and alternative forums.
- Conducting presentations and trainings on employment law.
- Negotiating employment law-related issues, including separation agreements, grievances, and agency claims.
- Maintaining up-to-date competency and striving for expertise in employment law, student affairs, and other Novus practice areas so research is not always required and is reserved for unique issues.
- Identifying novel areas of employment law where Novus could demonstrate thought leadership.
- Understanding the role technology plays in changing the practice of law and making recommendations on how technology can be leveraged to create products, improve the client experience, or more efficiently meet client needs.
Novus provides competitive salary based on experience; medical/dental/vision benefits; retirement plan; and professional development funds. Remote California-based candidates will be considered depending on qualifications and the candidate’s willingness to travel to our Walnut Creek office and client sites as needed.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample by email to email@example.com.